A big change going on at CCBC Okinawa is the departure of Chuck and Yumi Robb, a couple from CC Ginowan. Chuck has been teaching the ESL class for the Japanese speakers and Yumi has been translating into Japanese for CC Ginowan Sunday services, as well as with some of our bilingual CCBC classes (see photo above). The Robbs have moved to start their own ministry in Tohoku, the area where the earthquake/tsunami disaster occurred.
We also said goodbye to our brother John Piper, one of the interns here (see photo above). He has gone to serve the youth at a Calvary Chapel in mainland Japan. Even though I've only known them a short time, it feels like a part of the family has gone. At the same time, it's encouraging to see others taking a step of faith in Japan and going out and serving the Japanese people for Christ.
We've had midterms this past week as well, so it's given me a lot of time to reflect on the semester so far as I study for them. I've been learning a lot about ministry life here in Okinawa. Everyday, I feel like I experience something new. In the last few weeks, I taught on three separate occasions to two year olds, elementary school kids, and junior high kids. I've also had the opportunity to lead worship, serve the Okinawan community as well as the body, help the church in graphic design work, teach English, and use my Japanese to evangelize and minister on witnessing nights. Plus, I can wash dishes for 20+ people in under 30 minutes (with help, of course!).
Looking back, I can see that God has put me in these positions to show me how much I need to trust in Him and keep living out my faith in Christ, to stay humble at His feet and focused on what His plans are. Okinawa’s allowing me the opportunity to serve others and to serve God where needed and that is something to take great care in. That the Lord is allowing needs to come and allowing me to be a part of those needs being met. At times, I forget the attitude I need to have when serving, that we’re to serve Him in all we do and with the right heart. Remembering who we serve is important to keeping the ministry of God active and not the ministry of men. We don’t serve others for our own benefit but we serve God, who guides us to knowing who we are to serve. I love seeing the fruit that comes from serving this semester. Even something as normal as hearing about someone’s life and why they were brought to Okinawa has had encouraging and fruitful moments here on the island.
For me, three difficult things to ministry life this semester have been:
- Coping with lack of sleep
- Spiritual warfare
- Inexperience
However, three blessings this semester have been:
- Stronger devotional life
- God's continual providence
- Partaking in fruitful ministry
I weigh the blessings out to be so much better. With the semester being only half over, I hope to live out 2 Tim. 2:15 and see what God has in store!
No comments:
Post a Comment